We are a boutique investment firm that avoids bureaucracy, has a flat organizational structure, and an entrepreneurial mindset. We are a group of dedicated professionals that strive to be the best at what we do, and only want to be around likeminded hard-working, excellence-driven individuals. We seek teammates that want to create and manage consistent investment processes, help solve problems, and create value.
Vice President, Renewable Energy Investments (Tax Equity Investments)
Foss & Company is a national investment management firm founded in 1983. We have managed and deployed over $6 Billion in Tax Equity on behalf of our institutional investor clients. Our firm led some of the earliest tax equity investments in solar (SEGS) in the mid 80’s and has managed over $500 million to date in renewable and alternative energy investments.
Foss Renewable Energy Partners (FREP) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Foss & Company. FREP is significantly ramping our solar tax equity investments activity and we are seeking investment professionals with solid track records and impeccable reputations to join our investment team.
Note: Qualified candidates *MUST* have prior experience placing tax equity investments or with commercial/project finance lending; preferably for renewable energy projects.
We are a boutique investment firm that avoids bureaucracy, has a flat organizational structure, and an entrepreneurial mindset. We are a group of dedicated professionals that strive to be the best at what we do, and only want to be around likeminded hard-working, excellence-driven individuals. We seek teammates that want to design and manage a consistent investment processes, help solve problems, and create value. We want peers and colleagues who desire to be compensated based on their success, because they’re confident that their knowledge, experience, and expertise are accretive. We seek risk managers with a positive mindset that know when to dig deeper for creative solutions and know when to walk away. We want collaborators that are interested in the success of their group over personal accolades. We are looking for colleagues that are ethical, honest, dependable and trustworthy. Our team likes to have fun and make money, all while saving the world through renewable energy.
(If you cannot point to specific examples that demonstrate you would be a good cultural fit, please do not send your resume.)
The Vice President of Renewable Energy Investments will report to the Managing Director and will assist in leading the growth of our originations, underwriting, structuring, closing, and asset management functions. This position will own the primary responsibility for deploying capital into energy projects on behalf of the firm.
- Work with project developers to evaluate new investment opportunities
- Execute preliminary analyses and work through indicative pricing
- Lead term sheet/structure negotiations
- Manage due diligence process (internal and external as needed)
- Lead closing and distribution activity
- Transition investment to asset management
- Update, manage, and grow the pipeline of investment opportunities
- Present opportunities and recommendations to the investment committee
- Establish best practices and procedures for capital management
- Stay current on tax equity related IRS/rev proc rules and guidance (ITC/PTC/Depreciation)
- Establish and execute a risk management, evaluation and investment process
- Create/update annual investment strategy documentation
- Desire to lead internal staff and external service providers
- Ability to work independently with minimal day-to-day direction
- Budgeting and P&L responsibility for investment activities
- Participate in marketing and thought leadership activities
- Consistent tracking and reporting of deal flow
- Recruit, hire, train, manage, lead and mentor staff according to plan
- Find and solve problems
- Find and capture opportunities/value
- You must be able to model and underwrite investments yourself to lead this group
- You need to be familiar with the current tax equity market
- You should be a partnership flip and/or lease structure guru
- You have a strong understanding of credit markets and can conduct financial analyses
- You can build and maintain tax equity models
- You have exceptional analytical skills and be able to review/comment/markup typical contracts
- You can analyze risk, generate valuation models and optimizing returns
- You can structure and lead investment negations with developers
- Additional responsibilities as needed
A successful candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Four-year college degree, MBA or a master’s in finance disciplines preferred
- Bank TEI or project debt underwiring experience required
- At least 3 years tax equity investing or 5 years of renewable energy project finance experience
- Results oriented self-starter with strong desire to grow and succeed
- Positive attitude
- Excellent attention to detail
- Highly organized individual
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Process driven
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Creative problem solver
- Hunger to build something that you will own
Location: This position allows for telecommuting and/or working from our Denver or San Francisco team hubs.
Diversity: Foss & Company / FREP is an equal-opportunity employer, and does not discriminate based on gender, race, ethnicity, orientation, creed, or other trait. Foss & Company / FREP supports and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Commitment & Compensation: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Foss & Company / FREP provides health insurance, retirement benefits, paid vacation and federal holidays, plus the opportunity to work in an entrepreneurial environment.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and to IR@fossandco.com.